Default QTip: QTip Reviews Member Videos: David Part 1 -- Released 10/04/2012

I go over a video submitted by DTB member, daviddastardly. This video has a lot of good content to discuss and will take several parts to cover.

Default Re: QTip: QTip Reviews Member Videos: David Part 1 -- Released 10/04/2012

First off Owen, thanks for taking the time to do this, it’s really gonna help me a lot.

So a few things vs recreational types:

On occasions I tend to lose a lot of small amounts trying to win a lot by playing too wide of a range. We obv missing most of the time, and sometimes I end up getting myself in tricky spots where I’m mostly looking to call down K high. I guess this just speaks volumes for getting cheap showdowns early on so we know if he can bluff a pair or whatever right? Because if he can, my K high is no good for calling down... I don't think ).

12 mins ATo with missed value - Looking back yeah, why didn't I pot it? Duh, he has so many hands like gutters etc he can and will call with. When you say “that’s 7 big blinds you’ve left on the table” it kinda makes me feel sick that I’m doing that. I mean 7bb... that’s a cracking winrate! So how bad does my Ace have to be here for us to not to go pot, pot, jam? AT is fine i'd say, but where do we draw the line here? This might depend on SD reads/notes, but what about this guy when we don't quite know what he'll call off? Also If he raises at any point were outta there I think.

14mins - SPR’s

So I meant making the raises bigger pre with so we can chunk better post flop. I clearly didn’t display this very well in this video anyway haha (work in progress)

My vague understanding though using our 50bb opponent as an example:

Raising 4x here gives us a flop spr of around 5. We can:
    Chunk 3st: pot, hp, hp
    Chunk 2st: pot , pot

Or if we can somehow get 1/3 of the effective stack in pre, its roughly a psb on the flop to get nicely All in.

Villain has $25 ish
    Villain bets 1.50
    We know he’s a big fat station so we just make it $8, he calls
    Flop pot - $16.75
    villains stack $17 = psb. Am I wrong in thinking along these lines?

KTo hand – I think these spots are amongst the toughest in Poker. I just thought at the time so much of that flop hit him.

Poker Hand Converter Game 5266773508154
    On Game Linden No Limit Hold'em ($0.25/$0.50) Full Ring Real Money (USD), 4 players
    View in Poker Hand Replayer

seat 4: Hero(CO): $50.75
    seat 5: BTN: $51
    seat 7: SB: $49
    seat 10: BB: $23.76

PRE-FLOP: ($0.75) Hero is CO with K T
    Hero(CO) raises to $2, BTN calls $2, 2 folds

FLOP: ($4.75) T J 4 (2 players)
    Hero(CO) bets $3, BTN calls $3

TURN: ($10.75) 9 (2 players)
    Hero(CO) checks, BTN bets $7, Hero(CO) calls $7

RIVER: ($24.75) 3 (2 players)
    Hero(CO) checks, BTN bets $13, 1 folds

So let me try and break this down:

Hands that make sense calling pre, call the flop and bet turn KQ, JT, T9, 99, J9s, AJ, QJ, 44, for 52 combos
    Plus some hands that he floated because of his perceived range and positional advantage, say 66 and AQ for 22 combos.
    Total 52+22 = 74

What will he fold to our shove?

AJ for top pair, AQ and 66 (AQ doesn’t have the equity with an OESD to call our shove)
    34/74 46%

So the EV of the shove is
    EV=X*P + (1-X)*(-LV + WH) = -$10.37

To check if I’ve got this calc right, gulp:
    X = FE .46
    P = pot $17.75
    L = max loss from shove $45.75
    V = villains equity vs our range when called (Flopzilla 90%)
    W = max win. pot + his stack $ $68.50
    H = Heroes equity 10%
    EV = -$10.37

Of course this all depends on the accuracy of the range I’ve given him. I may have been stingy with his floating range. But watching it back, yeah I totally agree, check calling in these spots is just waving the flag nice and high!
    Last edited by davedastardly; 10-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Coach Extroadinaire

Default Re: QTip: QTip Reviews Member Videos: David Part 1 -- Released 10/04/2012

Quote Originally Posted by davedastardly View Post
    On occasions I tend to lose a lot of small amounts trying to win a lot by playing too wide of a range. We obv missing most of the time, and sometimes I end up getting myself in tricky spots where I’m mostly looking to call down K high. I guess this just speaks volumes for getting cheap showdowns early on so we know if he can bluff a pair or whatever right? Because if he can, my K high is no good for calling down... I don't think ).
    From my experience at the micros so far, I'm leaning more towards bluffing with K high instead of calling with it.
    12 mins ATo with missed value - Looking back yeah, why didn't I pot it? Duh, he has so many hands like gutters etc he can and will call with. When you say “that’s 7 big blinds you’ve left on the table” it kinda makes me feel sick that I’m doing that. I mean 7bb... that’s a cracking winrate! So how bad does my Ace have to be here for us to not to go pot, pot, jam? AT is fine i'd say, but where do we draw the line here? This might depend on SD reads/notes, but what about this guy when we don't quite know what he'll call off? Also If he raises at any point were outta there I think.
    I'd be thinking about the other streets as they come really. It's a bit overstated to say it's a 7bb mistake. It's really that value * the % of his worse continuing range - his better continuing range...etc. But still, it's value for sure.
    So I meant making the raises bigger pre with so we can chunk better post flop. I clearly didn’t display this very well in this video anyway haha (work in progress)
    ...Am I wrong in thinking along these lines?
    Not thinking wrong. It's good to get familiar with different options of chunking given different sprs. I keep meaning to make a video on it.
    KTo hand – I think these spots are amongst the toughest in Poker. I just thought at the time so much of that flop hit him.
    I'm going to start a video series call "Tough Hands". This one will be one of the first. I'll go over your idea in that video. There really are a lot of different lines we could take and I think each of them has some merit. And yes, many times the accuracy is very sensitive to the quality of the assumed range.
    Check out my books at qtippoker.com.
    DTB Rakeback/VIP signups at vip.dragthebar.com