Default Hunter Bick: Screen Name Tells -- Released 06/27/2012

Weak players and strong players both show patterns in the screen names they choose. Here are the prevailing patterns that each player type shows in their screen name, and why you need to be able to quickly recognize them.

I also discuss buy-in and stack-size tells, as well as avatar tells for sites with custom avatars like PokerStars.

Default Re: Hunter Bick: Screen Name Tells -- Released 06/27/2012

great stuff!

Where you play when not Pokerstars on pokerstar you can copy paste the name so long nicks no problem =)

Man this worked on me recently, regarding recent fads.

I played against a dude with the screen name 'gangnam style2012', he was sat on my right too, and I actually wanted to hurt this player. He actually made me play slightly different... then I stopped, realized what had happened and what an awesome idea it is. Its gonna hurt having the screen name 'gangdamstylee95863' or 'YOLO SWAG', but jeez it tilts me just writing it. Its gotta work if only short term. Good work Hunter!

I think there is a very important idea you should discuss as it directly relates to this topic.

What are your thoughts on players who display their VIP level/accolades at the table?

Quote Originally Posted by davedastardly View Post
    Man this worked on me recently, regarding recent fads.

I played against a dude with the screen name 'gangnam style2012', he was sat on my right too, and I actually wanted to hurt this player. He actually made me play slightly different... then I stopped, realized what had happened and what an awesome idea it is. Its gonna hurt having the screen name 'gangdamstylee95863' or 'YOLO SWAG', but jeez it tilts me just writing it. Its gotta work if only short term. Good work Hunter!
    Haha that's awesome, great example for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-47BERSERK View Post
    I think there is a very important idea you should discuss as it directly relates to this topic.

What are your thoughts on players who display their VIP level/accolades at the table?
    That's a good suggestion, I tend to not read into it very much, but its relevant on PokerStars. Generally, when you see a bronze star player, he's probably pretty casual, likewise goes for a Supernova player. Its incredibly unlikely that a losing player is going to make it to Supernova, so you can immediately get a telll from that.

This is a good concept I always look at the players name and try to get information about their strength based on that. But Today before watching this video, completely accidentally, I was thinking of making a new account in a poker site with a screen name that looks like a fish screen name. So many good players would underestimate me and I can use it as an advantage. Kinda reverse tell.

Hey Bick,

I think you are a great instructor, its truly a gift. This vid make me "lol" I just happened to be born on the 27th so I put that at the end of my screen name, 27, and it has just paid mad dividends cause good players think I used it as a "worst hand in poker" reference