Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chess Players?

Coach Extroadinaire

Default Re: Chess Players?

Well...Daniel gave me a proper beat down.
    Check out my books at qtippoker.com.
    DTB Rakeback/VIP signups at vip.dragthebar.com

Meh, just variance. You got yourself in a bit of tricky spot early on. Next time you'll do better and I'll make the misstakes.

I can promise to not have any beers before our next game!

Quote Originally Posted by QTip View Post
    Turns out I'm just the suck at blitz games. I need more time. I started playing 30 minute play, and I'm going much better. 6-2 and 1350 You know, you can play these matches over. It would be fun to review these games with one of you guys sometime and vice versa.
    Yeah, that sounds like fun. I wouldn't mind helping you guys look over some games. We could make a DTB chess club (since my real one died out) I don't mind doing chess for fun

On timing, the theory is less than 10 minutes is to test what you already know, and 10+ minutes is to learn/applying new things. Of course official tournament matches are usually 2 1/2 hrs+.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurehaze View Post
    ~2000-2200: This is the rating range where I quit chess so it's still a little fresh. In this range, I'd recommend refining your attacking/initiative skills. You'd be surprised on how many players just crack under prolonged pressure. Also, finding novelties with your computer is a must, and you can start looking at your opponent's style to exploit their leaks.

Anyways, I hope this helps to some degree. Don't forget that analyzing your games is the best way to find your leaks
    Just realized that your rating is pretty sick, I mean its around there where one can become a titled player, right? So didn't you want to push it a bit further to become a chess master? Or do you already have a title? Would be pretty sweet IMO, at least I'd love to have it on my CV.

Analyzing the games on the computer is really an eye-opener. Like recently I won a game against a better player and the move that essentially won the game (got a bishop between two rooks) was a blunder according to the computer as he could have gotten my bishop. I also like how it points out what the best moves would have been, I don't always follow why it would have been better but often looking at the suggested moves I would have gotten material or forced my opponent into a weaker position.

One thing that was suggested in a guide was to not spend too much time studying openings before 1800-level, but instead focus on tactics and the end game. So I started doing more of the tactics and then I've played some end-game positions against the computer. Does this sound like a good idea? Essentially what I do is take a training game against the computer where I put the computer to play at the best possible level and tried to beat it. With say Pawn+King vs K I can win but unfortunately I'm struggling if the game is a bit more complicated than that as the computer plays so darn well. Dropping the difficulty would feel a bit counterproductive since then I can't be sure if I learn anything when the computer does random moves.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take some of those chess positions that I should win and ask for some help from the computer to make me win? I.e. I'd essentially let the computer play against itself but try to follow the logic and force myself to participate by moving the pieces.

What software would you recommend for analyzing games? Was thinking of buying the newest Fritz, but I should also have Chessmaster lying around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYouDidnt View Post
    Do you think it would be a good idea to take some of those chess positions that I should win and ask for some help from the computer to make me win? I.e. I'd essentially let the computer play against itself but try to follow the logic and force myself to participate by moving the pieces.

What software would you recommend for analyzing games? Was thinking of buying the newest Fritz, but I should also have Chessmaster lying around somewhere.
    I first joined chess at high school because my dad told me to get a job. I had a office job before and found it really boring. So, I decided to make money by winning chess tournaments. In my area, there are ~7 major tournaments in a year that pay over $1k for 1st, and 3 big tournaments that pay over $8k for 1st. I just basically did that for money. But in the university, I found out about poker which was a strategy game too with more money. Playing cash everyday with constant income beats waiting for a major tournament. Because in chess tournaments if you have the same number of wins as everyone else, they split the prize money.

I just realized we are in the same 6max group, lol. Back to your question, a lot of endgames that you'll end up are already theoretical. I'd suggest getting a comprehensive endgame book like the tomb (<- not the real title, I meant his big endgame book) by Silman. Learning those spots by computer are good for practice, but takes a whole lot longer than learning without theory. It's kind of like poker. You learn what is good in general spots rather than memorizing everyspot b/c that is a lot more harder and induces more errors on your part.

As for software, Fritz is good. I used to use Rybka since it was the best computer engine at the time, but you don't really need it unless you are at master level or higher.

Thanks again for the helpful comments

Based on your posting history you have advanced real quickly in poker too. TBH I'm a bit surprised you didn't want to climb the corporate ladder since you are clearly a sharp thinker, willing to put a lot of effort to get better at something and have shown initiative (like creating the group). Anyway, maybe we can talk about it privately some time, just sounds very interesting and I'd be glad to hear more some day. I really couldn't imagine playing poker just for the money though, I mean I love the game and want to improve. If there was no money I might not play it though, but its just one side of it.

I'll do that about the endgame book then, sounds like a good plan. First I'll have to get through the other books you suggested though I've been surprised how many times I manage to win the game even when I have a worse position than my opponent just by him making blunders in the endgame. So I'm sure its something I need to continue working on.

I just paid for a years membership at chess.com, so I'll get all my games analyzed there which is convenient since I'm not sure if I'll play elsewhere. (If I play with my dad we won't use clocks or mark down our moves). Some people complained about issues with the analysis, but IMO its so darn convenient to just click a button after the game and see which blunders I made and where I could have exploited my opponents mistakes. I really don't mind if its quite a bit weaker than some commercial engines, like you said I'll worry about it when I'm a GM

Quote Originally Posted by NoYouDidnt View Post
    Thanks again for the helpful comments

Based on your posting history you have advanced real quickly in poker too. TBH I'm a bit surprised you didn't want to climb the corporate ladder since you are clearly a sharp thinker, willing to put a lot of effort to get better at something and have shown initiative (like creating the group). Anyway, maybe we can talk about it privately some time, just sounds very interesting and I'd be glad to hear more some day. I really couldn't imagine playing poker just for the money though, I mean I love the game and want to improve. If there was no money I might not play it though, but its just one side of it.

I'll do that about the endgame book then, sounds like a good plan. First I'll have to get through the other books you suggested though I've been surprised how many times I manage to win the game even when I have a worse position than my opponent just by him making blunders in the endgame. So I'm sure its something I need to continue working on.

I just paid for a years membership at chess.com, so I'll get all my games analyzed there which is convenient since I'm not sure if I'll play elsewhere. (If I play with my dad we won't use clocks or mark down our moves). Some people complained about issues with the analysis, but IMO its so darn convenient to just click a button after the game and see which blunders I made and where I could have exploited my opponents mistakes. I really don't mind if its quite a bit weaker than some commercial engines, like you said I'll worry about it when I'm a GM
    Yeah, we'll have plenty of time to talk about stuff since we're in the same group As for the tactics part, it's true that players starting out need to work on their tactics a lot since they make many blunders. But remember, chess is, at it's core, a strategy game. When you start finding yourself is tough tactical spots, it usually started from a strategical mistake. That's the one thing that the computer is weak with.

Anyways, run good and hopefully you'll be promoted to king

Hey guys!
    I used to play chess, in college mostly, was in my city team. It is really a wonderfull game, but it takes so much! Like to be in the top players of my club I had to study a lot.
    Quit chess when I entered in the university, but some times I do play in chesscube. Maybe we can play some games!

Qtip, are you still playing? With Xmas holidays coming I figured I'd take a break from poker and might have time for a few games if you are interested.

Just bought a kick-ass chess set for my dad for Xmas, some Polish company which has been making chess set for 40 years. Got one of their nicer sets, which still was quite cheap. I also wanted to get a quality set since then me and maybe my son can likely have it later

Hi Guys,

I play a fair bit of chess myself. My handle on chess.com is eugeniusjr. Look me up and let me know you're from DTB.

Cheers,

Eugene

I love chess too, but isn't very good (1380). I play on my iphone while on the bus, train, plains etc using an app called Chess Time HD. It's a lot of players online and you can set up games with moves witin 1-5 days so you can pretty much have a lot of games going at any time and really think things through. I don't like blitz chess or w/e it's called which annoyed the hell out of my older brother when we played last time I visited him... He madly stated that any chess game over 40 minutes in total is a hughe drag!

I got into it after Magnus Carlsen (Go Norway ! ) became the big Kahuna of chess

If anyone wants to play on Chess Time you can find me under Sad&Lonely (picked it hoping to receive some soft play ;-))