Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SNG's are so Bloody boring

I have been playing Sit and go's for about 2 months and i am getting nowhere.

I currently play 3.50 buck sng on pokerstars. and all i ever do is break even.

The only time i ever Improve or lose my bank roll is by playing tournaments.

I have watched about 20 vids but i find variance just does me even with the magic range

Any help¬!!! i would be most grateful cause i am really thinking of giving up on it all...

Default Re: SNG's are so Bloody boring

Seems like you need to play cash games, Less luck, more skill, more postfllop play.

I`m in the same situation since i started playing the 3.5s altough i have small sample(800). I found in an article that it is 11% chance for a 4%roi player to breakeven for 3k 9man sngs so i set my goal to play 2-3k sngs and then decide to start cash or move back to ongame. How many games did you play?

Quote Originally Posted by gutbuster200 View Post
    I have been playing Sit and go's for about 2 months and i am getting nowhere.

I currently play 3.50 buck sng on pokerstars. and all i ever do is break even.

The only time i ever Improve or lose my bank roll is by playing tournaments.

I have watched about 20 vids but i find variance just does me even with the magic range

Any help¬!!! i would be most grateful cause i am really thinking of giving up on it all...

two months is not a long time ,breakeven is a good start , if u r bored try playing more tables

I have been playing S n G s for about a year but it is only since December that i tryed to play with my bankroll. whether it is cause i get board
    i don't stick with it because i find no progress. none!! not a bit. i will play for 6 hours and be 5- 10 bucks up or down. whats the point in that, it's just a waste of time i wanted to become a good player. i can do well in touraments but that is all and they are to hit and miss.

I play 6 tables at a time, but i became a member of this site to help myself progress and really there is nothing you find on here that is not written on the 2+2 forums. I don't know what in my play i am doing wrong but there is something. but it does not look like i will find out.

It's very hard to just play AA KK QQ AK being really tight because that how i have always tryed to play but it gets you know where. People fold or you don't get the hand and end up jamming 6=9 BB with KJ or A8.
    I suppose i just thought the videos would help but you just get a load of stuff that doe'nt.
    christ i really do give up

You sound like you've lost your motivation. Well were on a coaching site... Get a coach! Even just for an hour. A live sweat or hand history review. A coach will find leaks in ur game, we've all got em. I swear you'll get that appetite back

yeah maybe you are right. I think i will take a couple of weeks out and contact a coach and start again. maybe i have just been grinding too much with no big result!!!!

DragTheBar SNG Coach

The reality of SNGs is that, like any format of poker, they're no fun when you're not crushing. So many people attempt to treat the symptom and not the root cause (or however that saying goes ) by being incredibly results-orientated in the short term. They hit a rocky patch and decide to switch to MTTs, or DONs, or Hypers etc etc. It is easier to conclude that the format does not suit your style, based on a small sample, than to get the head down and admit that you have a lot to learn. It takes discipline, hard work, and humility; this game does not come easy and there is no short cut.

My advice would be to question your decisions as you make them. Why did I make that call? Was it a good shove, even though I was dominated when he called? Can I, hand on heart, say that I am doing all I can to improve as a player, or am I getting frustrated because things haven't immediately clicked into place?

Work hard, keep an open mind, and don't take criticism/beats/debate personally.

Nicely said Casey,

I would also have to include here the idea behind the magic range, I have also watched all the ABC Sng videos and became very nieve, I thought for sure this spreadsheet would be the key to crush the game. However, I have come to believe that when you watch videos and are taking notes, attempting to memorize everything at once and taking any ideas as 100% is the wrong approach. You must take everything you learn with a grian of salt, because the game is like life and it is always evolving, so one must experment with his game and incorporate ideas here and there. The best way I have learned is through constantly talking in groups going through hand over hand and debating with other players why you did what. It is never good to attack the individual if you think he's wrong, but it never hurts to have a healthy debate and trying to get your point across whille taking in his perspective. It's alot of balancing and being self aware both at the table/comp and away from the game as well. Keep plugging, but don't be afraid to go outside the basic strategy, remember these videos and forums are for anyone and everyone is continuing to learn, the basic strategy is being killed by other players and now you must figure out how to mkae money off other peoples basic game. I think Casey's videos do a great job at identifying certain spots. If you haven't watch Soft eyes I would recomend it. Don't try to coopy what hes doign,but just listen to why he does what he does and what variables he thinks about when he is making his decsions.

Again take me with a grain of salt, I am also still learning the game and building fromthe group up.

Charette

I agree with what you have both said.. I think 1 of the main problems is just being result-orientated , i have now drop down too the $1.50 buck Sngs,..
    How many buy in's would you recomend to move up to $3.50??
    And i do find the 9 man SnGs harder than the other formats,anyone else find that?

Quote Originally Posted by gutbuster200 View Post
    I agree with what you have both said.. I think 1 of the main problems is just being result-orientated , i have now drop down too the $1.50 buck Sngs,..
    How many buy in's would you recomend to move up to $3.50??
    And i do find the 9 man SnGs harder than the other formats,anyone else find that?
    I started playing 9man turbos with 70 buy-ins, played 1500 with 2.1%roi. Not quite a big sample but my biggest swing was 33 buyins. So i guess 50 will be enough if you have the nerves to put asside the variance.

DTB Moderator

Hi,

This is a really interesting post and I think you have touched on some of the most important concepts of poker that all players should consider. The first is why you play and the second is what winning actually means.

There are millions of people who play golf across the planet but only a few make any money from it. The rest spent thousands on memberships, equipment and coaching. They know they will never get that cash back but they do it anyway. I have never spoken to a golfer that really enjoys the majority of their golf. When things are going well it is great but when they go bad they are horrible. They keep on doing it because they know that the only way to improve is by working hard and enjoying the small victories along the way. Just improving slowly is enough for golfers. Golfers pay a lot of money to play a game that there are never going to master. The real enjoyment is not financial it is in the challenge of improving slowly over time. Why should poker be any different??

Another important aspect to consider is what winning actually means. The rake at the micros is massive and will always make things really difficult. For a player to break even he must be beating most of the other players on a regular basis. For a player to lose money slowly they have to be quite a bit better than the average player. Unfortunately most poker players are so focused on winning money they forget their own achievements. It sounds counter intuitive to say that you are a good poker player and still losing money but it is only the very best that are able to make a monthly pay cheque.

You don't have to improve that much to go from break even to winning pro. You have to improve a lot more to go from average to break even but those last few steps are the hardest. The real difference is that to be break even you have to play the large majority of hands perfectly but to be a winning reg you have to be playing almost every hand perfectly. It takes a lot of work and time but it is possible.

On a separate note there is one massive and very important difference between DTB and 2+2. At 2+2 there are lots of people and lots of opinions but there is no way of knowing where the best advice is coming from. Just because someone is a regular poster does not mean their advice should be trusted. I have made loads of posts here for example but these are just my opinions. Like most of the 2+2 posters I am happy to give advice but I am not good enough to say it is worth anything. The DTB coaches, however, are that good. There advice is worth paying close attention to. They are recognisable and happy to help which is really useful.