Default preachercasy151: Soft Eyes Replayer: 6-Max SnG -- Released 01/04/2012

With a tough reg and a volatile recreational player in the same game, Christy shows you the adjustments that must be made. Non-standard lines are explored and comfort zones are widened.

Default Re: preachercasy151: Soft Eyes Replayer: 6-Max SnG -- Released 01/04/2012

Hey Casy,

Ive just watched the hand where you jammed in Q6o and ran into K8o. You said that this was maybe 0.5BB wider that Nash suggests.
    If you had decided here that it wasn't a profitable jam (say you have 35o maybe). Is this a spot where you open fold? Or do you limp?

This is the second of your vids I have watched and am really enjoying them.

Thanks,
    Pete (Solidthought)

Edit:

Just finished watching I have one more question about the K4 hand on the 8A2dd flop.
    You flatted his flop 3bet to take it away on the turn which I loved. My question is: how bad is 4bet jamming the flop due to your read? Thanks again.

DragTheBar SNG Coach

Default Re: preachercasy151: Soft Eyes Replayer: 6-Max SnG -- Released 01/04/2012

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the videos, and I'm always happy to discuss specific spots.

On point 1, the answer is a pretty vehement NO, I would not consider open-folding any hand even if Nash tells me that it's not a profitable jam. The reasons for this are two-fold and very very important.

1) Nash is only a bible for lazy people. In fact, I would go as far as to state that a lot of decent players would be a whole lot better if they'd never discovered Nash! It allows players to justify their play ('O, Nash says it's an OK jam for 9BB so I shoved it') at the expense of adjusting to varying opponent types. In this example, I had a good read on Villain and believed him to be calling my jams tighter than Nash (arguable, of course, but that was my in-game read). As such, I was only too happy to take what I believed to be a profitable spot.

Were I to have been dealt 35o, then it would clearly be a very ugly jam unless villain was an extremely tight caller (not a fair assumption here). As such, I would have open-limped. I do not open-fold my button Heads-Up for the very simple reason that....

2) ...It will never be as big a mistake to limp your button than it is to erroneously open-fold it. I simply do not encounter opponents good enough, often enough, to consider walking them. Any two cards are worth playing in position versus Villain's range of ATC. And if he raises me, I can fold or jam; it has only cost me one additional SB to gain this information, and the vast majority of the time I will get to play a flop (where my biggest edge lies).

For further information on this theory, after you've had your fill of mine I suggest that you follow MD261's videos. He is, in my humble opinion, one of the very best players in the world at the HU stage of SNGs.

I also have an article on HU in SNGs in the upcoming (September)edition of Poker Player Magazine. You might find it worthwhile (but then, I would say that )

I cannot specifically recall the K4 hand, but I will check back and give you a more detailed answer on Skype. I am 99% sure that my reasoning was that I was very confident that flatting to bet the turn would appear stronger to Villain. In other words, this is how I would play my flopped flushes and big A-x hands, so my bluff would appear more credible.