Default Backgammon Bankroll?

In a thread on 2+2, I think Bill suggested an effective bankroll of 300 points for cash games.

What about matches up to a certain amount of points (say 3, 5, 7, or 9) with a flat payout? How many buy-ins should someone have for that kind of structure?

Bill Robertie

Default Re: Backgammon Bankroll?

Quote Originally Posted by ChowMeinNoodh View Post
    In a thread on 2+2, I think Bill suggested an effective bankroll of 300 points for cash games.

What about matches up to a certain amount of points (say 3, 5, 7, or 9) with a flat payout? How many buy-ins should someone have for that kind of structure?
    If you're playing matches for money, the variance is extremely small, so you don't need much. I would say a bankroll of 20 points (assuming you can only lose 1 point per match) would be plenty. If you find yourself down 10 matches, you can figure you're outclassed and get away.

Hey Bill, thanks for your reply. What if the cube is in play? For example, you said if I can only lose 1 point per match then 20 points should be sufficient if I'm not outclassed. What if the cube is in play and I can lose up to 2 points? Or 4 points? Etc.

1 point = 20 point bankroll
    2 points = ? point bankroll
    4 points = ? point bankroll
    8 points = ? point bankroll
    16 points = ? point bankroll
    32 points = ? point bankroll
    64 points = ? point bankroll

Thanks!

Bill Robertie

Hey Bill, thanks for your reply. What if the cube is in play? For example, you said if I can only lose 1 point per match then 20 points should be sufficient if I'm not outclassed. What if the cube is in play and I can lose up to 2 points? Or 4 points? Etc.

1 point = 20 point bankroll
    2 points = ? point bankroll
    4 points = ? point bankroll
    8 points = ? point bankroll
    16 points = ? point bankroll
    32 points = ? point bankroll
    64 points = ? point bankroll

Thanks!
    You're describing a form of backgammon I've never seen. Are you saying there are two cubes in play, one for games within the match and another cube for the result of the match itself? I need to know a little more about how this contest actually works.

Hey Bill,

I guess I made things complicated. I just meant, if the cube is in play in a cash game, I could lose more than 1 point in any given match. So is 20 points still enough? Does that make sense?

Bill Robertie

Hey Bill,

I guess I made things complicated. I just meant, if the cube is in play in a cash game, I could lose more than 1 point in any given match. So is 20 points still enough? Does that make sense?
    OK, I see. You're talking about a regular cash game session with the cube in play. That's where a 300-point bankroll should be sufficient.

Thanks Bill!