Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stosh McConnell: From Micro to Medium: NL50 6-max Part 1 --Released 07/16/2010

Stosh brings us the third video in his new series "From Micro to Medium". He will be climbing the No Limit Hold'em ladder starting at the micros, progressing all the way through the medium stakes. Stosh built his bankroll in just this fashion. See how you can as well.

Default Re: Stosh McConnell: From Micro to Medium: NL50 6-max Part 1 --Released 07/16/2010

Hey Stosh

Glad to see your series has progressed to 50NL, as this is the level I'm currently at, and I've pretty much broke even. I feel it's mostly due to bad variance, I know it can be a bit of an easy cop out to say that, but I've had 2 really horrible downswings and then recovered. I think your approach to these micro videos is spot on, and find your coaching to be very grounding and I very much like the idea of playing more solid and cautious poker at these levels. Sometimes when I watch different videos at different stakes I try to get too fancy at my own stakes.

Apart from that 56s hand at the end, which was hilarious, not a lot really happened, you didn't seemed to get put into too many tricky spots, I think you only got 1 premium hand (jacks) if I remember correctly. So the only question I could come up with on the play was how you'd deal with different river cards on that 56s hand. You shoved with the Q, I imagine the same would apply if it was an A or a K. I was wondering what you'd think if you 6 of spades came up, since that'd give you trips but also complete a flush draw? Also, how about a non-spade 5, giving you two-pair but completing a flush draw and any 8's straight draw. And the 5 of spades? And finally, how about a blank? He checked behind on the turn, but I imagine you're folding to any raise if he were to make it, right?

Anyway, I hope your part 2 consists of a bit more action, though it's often helpful to see a dry session as it reminds us that sometimes we're gonna run dry for a bit and to not try to force situations.

Cheers!

DragTheBar Coach

Default Re: Stosh McConnell: From Micro to Medium: NL50 6-max Part 1 --Released 07/16/2010

Thanks, I'm glad the video helped. Fancy play syndrome is pretty common after watching videos. Just try to remember to use some of that stuff sparingly.

I already recorded the next NL50 video. It's 4-tables, so there will be more action.

first1

Hi Stosh!

Great stuff your thinking makes poker easy so I tried to apply it to mt own game and it did work. Nice. It would also be nice to see your stats at the end of part two just to see this style in numbers VPIP/PRF. Thaks.

DragTheBar Coach

Quote Originally Posted by first1 View Post
    Hi Stosh!

Great stuff your thinking makes poker easy so I tried to apply it to mt own game and it did work. Nice. It would also be nice to see your stats at the end of part two just to see this style in numbers VPIP/PRF. Thaks.
    Thanks! I'll try remembering to go over HEM stats at the end in future videos. I'm glad my style has helped. Keep it up!

At 19:39 you 3-bet AQs out of the SB against a early raise saying that you donīt like to call out of position and prefer raising, and turning your hand into a semi-bluff. Why?

If he raises again this hand is not profitable against his range and folding is the right play or?

If he fold what I think should happen most of the time our hand has only value as bluff and we are losing the hand value that our hand have, and doing this whit a bad hand that donīt have any value is a better or...?

If he calls then he probably going to do this whit two high cards or a medium to small pocket pair and play hit or miss on the flop and we can pick up the pot whit a c-bet most of the time and then again the actually hand value we have doesn't mater.

Anyway how I would like to play the hand is by calling preflop then we give BB a chance see the flop and If we hit the flop big, I can extract value with my hand against two opponents in the best case senario. And if safe looking flop comes I can bluff it enough times to make that play profitable by check-raising or floating.

You do the same play with AQo later in the video at 34:20 also, saying that playing out of positione without being the preflop raiser is something you donīt like to do. So Iīm guessing that having the initative in the hand is the most important concept in this situations that makes 3-betting better than calling, and more important than the reason I listed above(if correct).

At 23:48 you turn TT to a bluff by 4-Bet in my opinion calling here for set value hoping he has a big hand even if it is close or folding is the right play. I have tough about how you 4-bet here and it doesn't make any sense to me so if you could explain your thinking here a would appreciate it.

At 40:17 you say calling and raising with 88 in position is both fine calling I can understand calling for set value but what is the merits of raising this hand?

DragTheBar Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Swarley View Post
    At 19:39 you 3-bet AQs out of the SB against a early raise saying that you donīt like to call out of position and prefer raising, and turning your hand into a semi-bluff. Why?

If he raises again this hand is not profitable against his range and folding is the right play or?

If he fold what I think should happen most of the time our hand has only value as bluff and we are losing the hand value that our hand have, and doing this whit a bad hand that donīt have any value is a better or...?

If he calls then he probably going to do this whit two high cards or a medium to small pocket pair and play hit or miss on the flop and we can pick up the pot whit a c-bet most of the time and then again the actually hand value we have doesn't mater.

Anyway how I would like to play the hand is by calling preflop then we give BB a chance see the flop and If we hit the flop big, I can extract value with my hand against two opponents in the best case senario. And if safe looking flop comes I can bluff it enough times to make that play profitable by check-raising or floating.

You do the same play with AQo later in the video at 34:20 also, saying that playing out of positione without being the preflop raiser is something you donīt like to do. So Iīm guessing that having the initative in the hand is the most important concept in this situations that makes 3-betting better than calling, and more important than the reason I listed above(if correct).
    AQ is a reverse implied odds hand. Reverse implied odds hands often play best OOP by raising or folding (emphasis on folding). Calling OOP and trying to hit a flop is often a bad idea versus your standard player. It is tough to get a lot of money into the pot when you are OOP and without the initiative when ahead. Most of the time, you end up check-folding the flop.

You said you want the BB to call also. This isn't a great situation for you. This would make your relative position very bad. Don't forget to take relative position into account at all times.

I feel like 3-betting and continuation betting is a more +EV play at these stakes because average opponents don't react well to these situations.

[/QUOTE]At 23:48 you turn TT to a bluff by 4-Bet in my opinion calling here for set value hoping he has a big hand even if it is close or folding is the right play. I have tough about how you 4-bet here and it doesn't make any sense to me so if you could explain your thinking here a would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the hand. Are you sure it was at 23:48?

[/QUOTE]At 40:17 you say calling and raising with 88 in position is both fine calling I can understand calling for set value but what is the merits of raising this hand?[/QUOTE]

Again, I didn't see the hand at the time you specified. But, I will say 3-betting in position at these stakes is very rarely bad. Just don't go overboard.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I messed up the times the TT hand is at 24:13 and the 88 hand at 39:50.

DragTheBar Coach

TT hand- I can see an argument for all actions here. The correct decision would easily be made by knowing something about my opponent. Since I know very little, I think folding or 4-betting becomes the correct choice. It gives me instant feedback about where I stand. If my perception of the average NL50 player is correct, his range is polarized. I think his value hands are only big pairs and AK. Also, my perception is that the average NL50 reg doesn't 5-bet bluff all-in. So, with so much more air in his range than value hands, a 4-bet is +EV. This is of course assuming my assumptions of a NL50 reg are correct, which I can't say for sure they are.

Hey Stosh,

When check raising your Q2 at 03:16. What will you do on the river if he called your check raise on the turn?
    Also can you teach me how to make your opponent disconnect like you did at the end of the session. LOL

DragTheBar Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffan View Post
    Hey Stosh,

When check raising your Q2 at 03:16. What will you do on the river if he called your check raise on the turn?
    Also can you teach me how to make your opponent disconnect like you did at the end of the session. LOL
    I'm firing again on pretty much every river. His range is so weak, and mine is perceived as strong. It would be a pretty decent spot for an overbet bluff a lot as well.

Ha, yes never underestimate the "this guy hates me" factor. If you've been picking on a recreational player, they will usually spazz out at some point and do something really stupid. It's pretty great.

Hey,

thanks a lot for the great video. I really like your approach. Being reminded to keep it simple and donīt do anyting stupid is exactly what I need at the moment.

All the questions I noted had already been discussed here. Except this one:

Very early in the video (1:40...) you say that sitting with medium or short stacked players is a bad idea in general.

I think you explain this concept very well. It really reduces our skill advantage in a way and so on.
    But isnīt it hugely +ev to play them, they are usually the very weakest players. And we can keep our own decisions very easy versus them.
    To oversimplify: we either cbet and shut down, or we make tptk or better and stack off and should make tons of money that way.
    Also the other players at the table might think (in the rare occasion they even pay attention) we will stack off w tptk hands versus fullstacked players as well.