Hybrid View

Default Milwaukee2: Check Raising the Turn --Released 06/16/2010

Ross goes over hands that he decides to check raise the turn, gives his thought process on when to check raise instead of barrel, and describes how to use a few of the holdem manager pop-up stats to make decisions against regs.

ih8rain

Default Re: Milwaukee2: Check Raising the Turn --Released 06/16/2010

dear ross,
    solid video. i think a great topic for a similar video would be times where you check-called the turn, because that a line i seldom use and i have trouble finding the right spots for it.
    i think you got confused in the end with the 4b stat. this particular player 4bets 8%. his overall 4b range is 1.2% (the stats directly below the one you outline in the video).
    i think without better knowledge about how often he 4 bets from which position the correct way to calculate his 4b range would be to take his "raise first in" stat from the position he opens and multiply that with his 4b stat.
    so if this player you talked about opens the BU it would be

35% (his BU raise 1st in) * 8% (his 4b) = 2.8% 4b from the BU (which comes close to JJ+,AK and is actually a very narrow range)

as i wrote above im not totally sure if this is the correct way to calculate it, so please someone correct me if im wrong.

Milwaukee2

Quote Originally Posted by ih8rain View Post
    dear ross,
    solid video. i think a great topic for a similar video would be times where you check-called the turn, because that a line i seldom use and i have trouble finding the right spots for it.
    i think you got confused in the end with the 4b stat. this particular player 4bets 8%. his overall 4b range is 1.2% (the stats directly below the one you outline in the video).
    i think without better knowledge about how often he 4 bets from which position the correct way to calculate his 4b range would be to take his "raise first in" stat from the position he opens and multiply that with his 4b stat.
    so if this player you talked about opens the BU it would be

35% (his BU raise 1st in) * 8% (his 4b) = 2.8% 4b from the BU (which comes close to JJ+,AK and is actually a very narrow range)

as i wrote above im not totally sure if this is the correct way to calculate it, so please someone correct me if im wrong.

Yea I think everything you said is correct. I may have made a mistake when looking at the different 4b stats. If his 4b range is 1.2% we can very safely assume that all 4bs from this player are for value and we should never 5b bluff him.

Thanks for the video suggestion! I will take a look at hands where I decided to check call the turn, and decide If I think I can make an interesting video out of it.

-Ross

Another really good video, Ross. I especially like how you tailor your raise sizes to the stacks of the players behind you and how you try to get the most from your big hands.

i enjoyed this vid, thanks

+1 for making a HEM stats video, i would like to hear some of your thoughts on stats and how they play into your thought process.

Dear Ross,

I watched your video today. I definitely liked it. So I was looking to implement it in my game. Is this turnplay a good example?

Rush:

Villain plays 23/20/2.2 over 80 hands. Villain raist 1st on BTN is 33%.

Full Tilt Poker Game #23005644272: Table Adrenaline - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:57:46 ET - 2010/08/11
    Seat 1: jtchelsea08 ($102)
    Seat 2: Kungfugunde ($101)
    Seat 3: Villain ($161.55)
    Seat 4: Hero ($203.55)
    Seat 5: DrinkOJ ($146.20)
    Seat 6: OzCanuck ($30.70)
    Seat 7: freedom90 ($56.85)
    Seat 8: heli69 ($116.60)
    Seat 9: osudo2013 ($100)
    Hero posts the small blind of $0.50
    DrinkOJ posts the big blind of $1
    The button is in seat #3
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [2s 2h]
    OzCanuck has 8 seconds left to act
    OzCanuck folds
    freedom90 folds
    heli69 folds
    osudo2013 folds
    jtchelsea08 folds
    Kungfugunde folds
    Villain raises to $3
    Hero has 15 seconds left to act
    Hero raises to $11
    DrinkOJ folds
    Villain calls $8
    *** FLOP *** [Jh Jc 2c]
    Hero bets $13
    Villain calls $13
    *** TURN *** [Jh Jc 2c] [Tc]
    Hero checks
    Villain has 15 seconds left to act
    Villain bets $24
    Hero raises to $67
    Villain has 15 seconds left to act
    Villain has requested TIME
    Villain folds

This was a really good video thankyou, One question, on the last A8 hand, how would you of played the river if say the 9c dropped?