Default carpal tunnel, anyone?

I think I'm starting to feel irritation in the base of my palm from playing online. I'm going to go see a doctor later this week. But for any of you grinders who put it 4-8 hr. sessions.....how do you do it? Do you sit in your chair a special way? Did anyone buy one of those egronomic mouses ( mice ?) for their computer? Any special exercises?

All comments are appreciated.

DragTheBar CEO / Coach

Default Re: carpal tunnel, anyone?

I'd suggest an ergonomic mouse, I have a pile of them in my closet, but the one I've ended up using 90% of the time is this:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-EM500GPL-Er...2382223&sr=8-2

It locks your wrist in place so you only move your arm to move the mouse, its been a few years and I never get sore with it. It doesn't look fancy or have any extra buttons, but it gets the job done. Try it before you go another route.

my wrist was hurting early jan. I got the logitech mx rev and now it's fine!

DragTheBar Coach

Def get what Hunter recommended. Before buying one I was well on my way to carpal tunnel. Now I feel fine.

I had huge problems a few months ago, it got so painful I couldn't even use the computer for a few days because it hurt my wrist so bad. Turns out that my desk was too high which caused my wrist to be in a bad position. I installed a pull out mouse tray and its helped a ton. I would suggest making sure that everything in your computer area is fitted properly to you. I had never even thought about it until my wrist starting hurting. Pretty much everything in my office at that point was the wrong height or size for me. I've fixed about 1/2 of it and its helped a lot. 800mg of ibuprofen before you play will help some too Good luck

deluxbay

Got diagnosed with this a few years back caused through work and poorly sitting at the computer. Got a logitech mouse, gel wrist support for when i'm at the desk. Deffo made a difference. If you can rest it for a few weeks before it gets worse it could save you a lot of pain later ( like waking at 4am with your hands cramping up badly). Ibuprofen is the one or codrydamol (messes me up though).
    Good luck

DragTheBar Guest Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Rakes View Post
    my wrist was hurting early jan. I got the logitech mx rev and now it's fine!
    Rakes, I am thinking of upgrading my mouse because I want to avoid wrist+palm uneasiness. Have you ever had a problem with the wireless mouse? Like has it ever failed on you or something of this sort?

Hunter, I cant find the 3M mouse you are suggesting in my country. Can you suggest any other mouse? Do you think the Logitech Mx Revolution will be fine?

Also, any suggestions for a keyboard?

gore, the battery life is actually really good. it lasts for about a week after a charge of 3-4 hours. i haven't had any bad problems with it yet.

DragTheBar CEO / Coach

Quote Originally Posted by goretexg View Post
    Rakes, I am thinking of upgrading my mouse because I want to avoid wrist+palm uneasiness. Have you ever had a problem with the wireless mouse? Like has it ever failed on you or something of this sort?

Hunter, I cant find the 3M mouse you are suggesting in my country. Can you suggest any other mouse? Do you think the Logitech Mx Revolution will be fine?

Also, any suggestions for a keyboard?
    I would not get the logitech, because it does nothing to address the 2 fundamental problems that standard mice create. A) the wrist angle that the 3m corrects by keeping your hand in an upright position, and B) it doesn't isolate your wrist and keep it from moving, and lots of tiny wrist movements add up to pain. But Charles says it worked for him, so maybe there's something to it, I haven't used it though.

Check out the Zero Tension mouse, see if you can order that one.

As for the keyboard, I just use the logitech illuminated because the keys don't have much travel and it looks cool. If you type a lot, get a microsoft natural, its big and bulky, but great ergonomically, I've had a couple in the past.

DragTheBar Guest Coach

I will just try to order the 3M from amazon.de since they dont have it in my country. Hopefully it wont cost much more.