Default Hunter: Heads-Up vs. aowa66 part 1 --Released 04/02/2010

In part 1 of this 3-part series, Hunter plays a session against "aowa66," an unorthodox opponent who has some very aggressive tendencies and is capable of huge bluffs. So Hunter starts off by staying tight and trying to figure out the opponent's game plan and how he would respond to being re-bluffed. A few really tough spots come up as a result of this strategy that Hunter explores in-depth.

Default Re: Hunter: Heads-Up vs. aowa66 part 1 --Released 04/02/2010

Hunter,

In the pot where you 4bet this guy for the first time with AQ and the flop comes J66 what do you think betting 60 into the 230ish pot does to a guy like this?

Quote Originally Posted by UmmTasty View Post
    Hunter,

In the pot where you 4bet this guy for the first time with AQ and the flop comes J66 what do you think betting 60 into the 230ish pot does to a guy like this?
    Against this guy I almost feel like he'll call a lot, which doesn't really get me what I want. On this texture I either want him to fold or to shove (which I'd call) but the $60 bet when called makes things very awkward on most turn cards.

Against many opponents who will either fold or shove, I like the under-bet a lot and its my standard. But against this guy it didn't seem like that great of an option.

Here are my ideas behind betting,

Although we haven't seen a 4bet pot, this guy has shown a big tendency to bet the turn after you check back the flop. Normally that is an argument for checking because it allows you to call all his bluffs on the turn, but I think this guy would be capable of bluffing the river which is going to force you to fold unimproved a big chunk of the time, making the turn call a mistake. I don't think he really ever has AK, here but he may have some weaker aces which you can get value from. So you potentially save yourself a big mistake and you get to see the turn and river for relatively cheap (while maybe getting value). The biggest thing though is it gives him a chance to fold small pairs and other hands that could try to bluff you off later, while it also gives him a chance to try and bluff shove where you can get it in with decent equity or even ahead.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by UmmTasty View Post
    Here are my ideas behind betting,

Although we haven't seen a 4bet pot, this guy has shown a big tendency to bet the turn after you check back the flop. Normally that is an argument for checking because it allows you to call all his bluffs on the turn, but I think this guy would be capable of bluffing the river which is going to force you to fold unimproved a big chunk of the time, making the turn call a mistake. I don't think he really ever has AK, here but he may have some weaker aces which you can get value from. So you potentially save yourself a big mistake and you get to see the turn and river for relatively cheap (while maybe getting value). The biggest thing though is it gives him a chance to fold small pairs and other hands that could try to bluff you off later, while it also gives him a chance to try and bluff shove where you can get it in with decent equity or even ahead.

Thoughts?
    Some great points, I think thats probably the best line. What I didn't consider in the match is that he'll probably always bomb the turn and river. Bet/calling gives me a chance to get it in ahead, or at worse I'll still have some equity if I'm behind. I don't think this guy ever folds a pair, but on a board that dry AQo has a lot of equity against his range, and its not going to be a mistake all that often to get it in on the flop, whereas checking sets me up to make a huge mistake later.

Coach Extroadinaire

Hey Hunter. I'm just curious what the reasoning is behind the different raise sizes PF. Sometimes it's minraise, sometimes 3x, etc. Does your hand have anything to do with it, just keeping your opponent guessing on it or what?

Thx.

Ah...you talk about this a bit at the 34 min mark. I've a couple more questions, but maybe they'll get answered in the vid later, so I'll hold off

You're so talented expressing your thoughts in these live play and delayed commentary videos. Great stuff.
    Check out my books at qtippoker.com.
    DTB Rakeback/VIP signups at vip.dragthebar.com

Coach Extroadinaire

14:30 You have A4 and the flop comes up AJ4r. He checks it back. You feel he has something at that point (J or TT type stuff), so you minbet hoping to induce some action. I’m just trying to figure that out since if he has a hand like that and is taking a showdown line, it would seem unlikely to me that he raises and pretty likely he calls a nice bet after the turn Ace.

Man…that KQ hand is pretty sick at 36 min mark. It’s amazing how there are some different dynamics in HU. The temptation to call and end the match just doesn’t exist in 6max and FR. Fun stuff.

At the 41 min mark, you have J8 and the board is J6A62. You just talked about how he’s sticky on paired boards and has made 2 K-high call downs on AAxxx textures. So, I was thinking a small bet there might be good.

The 44 min mark you have 76 UI and go for a double barrel. It’s a little confusing to me because we’ve seen him be so sticky when he gets c/cally. You talk about how he plays his draws with c/r and that makes some sense. But, I feel like I’m missing some fine distinction here.

Excited to check out the other 2 parts. I think this is the first time I’ve ever really watched a HU vid.

Hey Hunter. I'm just curious what the reasoning is behind the different raise sizes PF. Sometimes it's minraise, sometimes 3x, etc. Does your hand have anything to do with it, just keeping your opponent guessing on it or what?
    Basically both. As the stack sizes change and/or his 3bet frequency changes, I want to be able to dictate how big or small I want the pot to be by changing my opening raise size. If he 3bets a ton, minraising is a good counter adjustment. At certain stack sizes it sets up the pot better with certain hands to make it 2x instead of 3x. So often in a match I'll randomly open to both sizes so that I have the flexibility to do it later with certain hands to accomplish whatever my goal might be. I also want to see how he'll respond to each size, does he call more minraises than 3x's, etc.

You're so talented expressing your thoughts in these live play and delayed commentary videos. Great stuff.
    Ty sir, lots of practice

Coach Extroadinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Bick View Post
    Some great points, I think thats probably the best line. What I didn't consider in the match is that he'll probably always bomb the turn and river. Bet/calling gives me a chance to get it in ahead, or at worse I'll still have some equity if I'm behind. I don't think this guy ever folds a pair, but on a board that dry AQo has a lot of equity against his range, and its not going to be a mistake all that often to get it in on the flop, whereas checking sets me up to make a huge mistake later.
    So, what are we talking about doing here then, pushing the turn?

Quote Originally Posted by QTip View Post
    14:30 You have A4 and the flop comes up AJ4r. He checks it back. You feel he has something at that point (J or TT type stuff), so you minbet hoping to induce some action. Iím just trying to figure that out since if he has a hand like that and is taking a showdown line, it would seem unlikely to me that he raises and pretty likely he calls a nice bet after the turn Ace.
    Well that's true, but when the pot is that small and I have the deck crushed, I really don't mind risking a few bbs to try to get him to make a big mistake. As it stands, its basically impossible for me to win even a medium sized pot unless I can provoke a raise of some kind. Plus it also sort of makes me look fishy, which is never a bad thing.

ManÖthat KQ hand is pretty sick at 36 min mark. Itís amazing how there are some different dynamics in HU. The temptation to call and end the match just doesnít exist in 6max and FR. Fun stuff.
    Agreed, thats what makes it great

At the 41 min mark, you have J8 and the board is J6A62. You just talked about how heís sticky on paired boards and has made 2 K-high call downs on AAxxx textures. So, I was thinking a small bet there might be good.
    Yeah quite possibly.

The 44 min mark you have 76 UI and go for a double barrel. Itís a little confusing to me because weíve seen him be so sticky when he gets c/cally. You talk about how he plays his draws with c/r and that makes some sense. But, I feel like Iím missing some fine distinction here.
    Well out of position he'd done a decent amount of peeling once then folding, and combine that with the fact that its impossible for me to win the hand w/out him folding, its a spot where I need to keep the pressure on him. The other option is forfeiting this pot, which seems very unnecessary given I have the button, the initiative, and I can put him on a range consisting mostly of weak made hands.