Default ChipSteela: Live Rebuy Madness Part 1 --Released 03/17/2010

Throughout my online poker career I have enjoyed consistent success in rebuy tournaments at all buy- in levels. In this series you will see some of the secrets I have employed to help me become successful, as I will be multi-tabling rebuy tournaments at several different stakes during an afternoon session. Since the video was recorded live you will get to see my thought process in each hand as I explain some of the important strategies I use to accumulate chips during the rebuy hour, and then continue to build my stack as the tournaments progress.

Default Re: ChipSteela: Live Rebuy Madness Part 1 --Released 03/17/2010

Jeremy

I am generally a cash game player, but I have watched your videos and enjoyed all of them. I saw this one and tried a few rebuy tournaments with immediate reslts, which was awesome.

The two questions I have is on the smaller rebuy tournament you were trying to double up with suited connectors and pocket pairs.

1) How big of a chip count are you looking to have before you stop putting it in with suited connectors and pairs, if ever
    2) How small of suited connectors and smallest pocket pair for shoving?

Hey its great to get some questions in here, I'm glad you are getting something out of the videos. When I'm shoving suited connectors and small pairs in a rebuy hour I'm generally only doing it with these hands to get that initial double up in the mid stakes rebuys. Usually after that I can use my image when shoving premium hands and get more action, especially from the smaller stacks looking to double up. I also will play more pots post flop after the first double up. I'm fine with only doubling once in a rebuy hour, but I would prefer to have at least 2.5-3x the initial stack amount to allow for some padding, allowing me to do so much more with my stack once the real tournament begins. I hope this helps and gl at the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSteela View Post
    Hey its great to get some questions in here, I'm glad you are getting something out of the videos. When I'm shoving suited connectors and small pairs in a rebuy hour I'm generally only doing it with these hands to get that initial double up in the mid stakes rebuys. Usually after that I can use my image when shoving premium hands and get more action, especially from the smaller stacks looking to double up. I also will play more pots post flop after the first double up. I'm fine with only doubling once in a rebuy hour, but I would prefer to have at least 2.5-3x the initial stack amount to allow for some padding, allowing me to do so much more with my stack once the real tournament begins. I hope this helps and gl at the tables.
    1) I will try to get some more questions going, I am enjoying the MTT videos by all the coaches
    2) When you say 2.5 to 3x initial stack amount, some of the rebuys allow you to double rebuy. So if you start with 1500, are you talking about 3750-4500 or 7500-9000
    3) When you play more pots post flop, after your initial double up, is the idea you have such a big stack vs blind that you can afford to see more flops?

1) Would be great to get more discussion going, and feel free to let me know if there are any other specific tournaments or specific tournament strategies you'd like to see in future videos
    2) Yea most every rebuy tournament starts you off with the 1500 stack, and I always get the extra rebuy at the start. I strive to have around 7500-9000 chips after the rebuy period is over like you said, but I'm not going to just gamble if I have already doubled since I'm still in a pretty comfortable position. This is especially the case on Full Tilt where the blind structure allows for plenty of play after the rebuy hour is over.
    3) The reason i try to acquire as big a stack as possible during the rebuy hour is for 3 reasons:

a. To see lots of flops as you mentioned, especially in position against weaker opponents.
    b. To be able to take a few hits to my stack and still be in good shape if I should happen to take a bad beat or get coolered.
    c. It allows me to take more creative lines post flop and also put pressure on the smaller stacks who aren't looking to get involved in pots for their tournament life without monster hands.

What is your calling range vs light shoving from your opponents during the rebuy?

thank you for your advice,

im already playing with more confidence in MTTs, now just needing to book a win! several final tables but no No.1

Daz

Your calling range really depends on how much you are willing to gamble in a rebuy period, which should be based on how adequately rolled you are for the tournament. Assuming you are adequately rolled you should consider calling someone who has been liberally moving all in with a range of right around KJ+ AT+ and 6s+, but if you know the player is shoving a super wide range you can choose to call with all kinds of suited connectors, any pocket pair, and lots of other hands with decent post flop equity in an attempt to gamble it up and build yourself a nice stack for play after the rebuy period. There are tons of ways to play in a rebuy period, but I always recommend being willing to gamble at least a little so you can return from the rebuy period with a great stack for playing post flop, and also a stack that can take a few hits should you get unlucky and take some beats.