Default James Davis: $.25/$.50 NLHE 6Max Part 1 --Released 03/16/2010

James plays 50Nl vs regs while extracting from fish. He tries to focus on when to keep firing barrels and when to give up. He points out that if you are playing games vs regs at these stakes, you can't just sit around trying to make hands.

Default Re: James Davis: $.25/$.50 NLHE 6Max Part 1 --Released 03/16/2010

Hey James, always enjoy, and learn from, your videos.

At around the 30 minute mark, you squeeze on the button with 8d9d, are 4bet by iamthekag, and you call his small 4bet 80bb deep. He then pots the flop, you call, and then fold when the turn Q pairs the board.

I'm wondering what turn cards you are continuing with that don't make your flush?

Also, if we are folding some turns, doesn't that affect the price we need to call the flop, and change our flop decision? Do the implied odds make up for this?

Is this close enough of a spot that you couldn't be too wrong calling or folding the flop, or is folding out of the question?

Hey James, minute 28 you 3-bet 67s otb vs. the co raiser on table 4. He was 29/19.

Did you prefer to 3-bet there because you thought you sc'er was too low to show
    a profit post flop? Did you think a 3-bet was immediately more profitable then
    a call?

If I had 78s,98s,T9s,JTs,QJs, and KQs (KQs, I'd 3-bet for value vs. a fish)I'd usually be calling there because in
    my mind the hand has more value post as a call instead of bluffing it.

I know this question is a bit generalized and can depend on squeezers behind your in the blinds but...

Againt Tags where do you draw the line with your worst calling range in position with
    sc'ers and suited 1 gappers? Does it matter if they raise UTG @ 6 - Max?

-Thanks.

bump

Wow, sorry guys. i am going to answer everything right now.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Hey James, always enjoy, and learn from, your videos.

At around the 30 minute mark, you squeeze on the button with 8d9d, are 4bet by iamthekag, and you call his small 4bet 80bb deep. He then pots the flop, you call, and then fold when the turn Q pairs the board.

I'm wondering what turn cards you are continuing with that don't make your flush?

Also, if we are folding some turns, doesn't that affect the price we need to call the flop, and change our flop decision? Do the implied odds make up for this?

Is this close enough of a spot that you couldn't be too wrong calling or folding the flop, or is folding out of the question?
    I am continuing on any turn cards that give me odds to continue if I assume that he has aces.

I believe implied odds do make up the difference...but I do not believe I can fold the flop given that I am basically guaranteed to get the rest of his stack if I make my flush. I don't have the hand in front of me, however, and it's possible my math was fuzzy at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PutMyRobeOnRITE View Post
    Hey James, minute 28 you 3-bet 67s otb vs. the co raiser on table 4. He was 29/19.

Did you prefer to 3-bet there because you thought you sc'er was too low to show
    a profit post flop? Did you think a 3-bet was immediately more profitable then
    a call?

If I had 78s,98s,T9s,JTs,QJs, and KQs (KQs, I'd 3-bet for value vs. a fish)I'd usually be calling there because in
    my mind the hand has more value post as a call instead of bluffing it.

I know this question is a bit generalized and can depend on squeezers behind your in the blinds but...

Againt Tags where do you draw the line with your worst calling range in position with
    sc'ers and suited 1 gappers? Does it matter if they raise UTG @ 6 - Max?

-Thanks.
    The biggest issue with calling hands in today's climate is the tendencies of the players left to act behind you. Virtually nobody 4-bet squeezes as a bluff in these games, so 3 betting a wider range effectively eliminates this difficulty for you. The original raiser's tendencies matter for sure, but often I will consider the players yet to act even more. It absolutely matters if they raise utg - I will typically check their positional raise stats before electing to make any 3b preflop.

I believe I mentioned this in the video, but I still find that decent but too tight players are playing fit or fold on the flop - leaving a heavy 3 betting strategy preferable to a heavy calling strategy. If I have reason to believe my opponents are bluff 4 betting lightly, then I will be swayed toward a call for sure. I have reason to believe this in higher games, but was feeling out the tendencies in these lower stakes games to try and get a grip on things.

Thanks for your interest - hope this clears things up

James

In my defense I'd also like to say I was on vacation last week - sorry again for missing these posts guys.

Thanks James,

I see your point now...3-betting a sc'er vs. a fit or fold player may yield more profit than just flat calling and also eliminates facing a 3-bet.

Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    The biggest issue with calling hands in today's climate is the tendencies of the players left to act behind you. Virtually nobody 4-bet squeezes as a bluff in these games, so 3 betting a wider range effectively eliminates this difficulty for you. The original raiser's tendencies matter for sure, but often I will consider the players yet to act even more. It absolutely matters if they raise utg - I will typically check their positional raise stats before electing to make any 3b preflop.

I believe I mentioned this in the video, but I still find that decent but too tight players are playing fit or fold on the flop - leaving a heavy 3 betting strategy preferable to a heavy calling strategy. If I have reason to believe my opponents are bluff 4 betting lightly, then I will be swayed toward a call for sure. I have reason to believe this in higher games, but was feeling out the tendencies in these lower stakes games to try and get a grip on things.

Thanks for your interest - hope this clears things up

James

xxGREMLYNxx

Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    I am continuing on any turn cards that give me odds to continue if I assume that he has aces.

I believe implied odds do make up the difference...but I do not believe I can fold the flop given that I am basically guaranteed to get the rest of his stack if I make my flush. I don't have the hand in front of me, however, and it's possible my math was fuzzy at the time.
    Hey James, sorry to beat this horse to death but can you please explain in a bit more detail why you just flat that flop? I hear you say you need at least 30% equity to call his $37.50 bet into a pot of $35.65 on a KdQd2s board with 8d9d when you have an effective stack of $72 giving you around 2:1 on the call BUT if you are folding that turn a decent % of the time then i dont understand the flop call because you are about 18-20% to hit your flush on the turn so you would infact need 4:1 on the flop call and if you add the implied odds to the call you still come up with only around 3:1... where as if you just get it in on the flop you are around mid 30% equity vs his range i think and get to see both cards...