Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default preachercasy151: Live in Session: Hyper Drive Live -- Released 02/27/2013

6max Hyper-Turbos are fast, frantic, and an awful lot of fun. Take the opportunity to sweat Christy as he blasts through a set of Hypers with characteristic aggression.

Default Re: preachercasy151: Live in Session: Hyper Drive Live -- Released 02/27/2013

That's what I'm looking for!

Default Re: preachercasy151: Live in Session: Hyper Drive Live -- Released 02/27/2013

What software are you using to manage your tables? It looks like you have multiple stacks which TN2 currently doesn't do although they keep saying they will introduce it. I would like a program that can create multiple stacks

DragTheBar SNG Coach

Hi Will, this program is called Table of Interest. Unfortunately the software has been discontinued, but should be locatable online with some diligent googling.

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately it appears that I can download it online but I can't register the software which makes it useless. What table management software do you currently use? I really want to be able to manage multiple stacks but TN2 can't do this although they have been saying for 6 months that it's on its way.

DragTheBar SNG Coach

I was lucky enough to get a registration key before they discontinued it. On my other computer, I use stack n tile, which isn't as good but still has its uses

Hi Christy, cool vid. I am new to hypers and keen to learn. I have a question about the T7s hand at 42min mark. You are chip leader on the button and look to be using your stack to bully the 2 remaining players. Then shortly after you say that as short stack you have to respect the ICM implications and shove much wider as you have less equity to protect but the T7s seems fairly wide to me so would you not look to preserve your stack as chip leader and try and let the other 2 stacks take each other out in this spot and similar ones?

DragTheBar SNG Coach

Hi Fiz,

That's a great point, and one that warrants clarification. In this example, there is a very subtle but important reason behind my decision to jam the T7s on the button.

The middle stack is in the BB.

If we accept the premise that the BB is going to call very tight here, if the SB folds to my shove, then I generate a lot of fold equity for myself. And the SB is going to call quite tight here because the old heuristic 'shove wide, call tight on the bubble' kicks in.

But when stacks have been reversed and I am on the short stack, I have to adhere to the same heuristic, albeit from the other end of the stack spectrum. As the shorty and as the chippo, I can shove wide for the same reason - I don't have to protect my equity in the same manner as the middle stack. The middle stack is the one with most to risk, as his equity can plummet off a cliff if he loses an all-in. The shorty simply doesn't have time to wait - he has to clamber his way back into contention with some wide shoves as long as he can still generate some fold equity for himself. And the chippo is lucky in that his mere presence in the hand can paralyse the other two into inaction, because he threatens both of their tournament lives.

Does that clear things up a bit? If not, just let me know and I'll try to elucidate further.

All the best,

Christy

Hi Christy, thanks for the conscise clarification, it really helps me to understand the dynamic here better.

So, the middle stack seems in quite a predicament here as they are going to be shoved on wide by both the shorty and chip leader. Taking into account we are on the bubble and top 2 will get paid, 2nd place usually paying very close to 2 buy-ins, how wide of a range are we calling with here if we are middle stack? Is it when we perceive our hand having at least 34%ish equity against villains range giving us 2/1 or does this need to be adjusted narrower due to ICM? Apologies if this is a really dumb question but I am not so familiar with ICM as I have mainly played cash PLO up until now.

Thanks.

DragTheBar SNG Coach

Hi Fiz,

Don't worry - that's not a dumb question at all.

You are right with your calculation - 2/1 is indeed 33.3%. However, ICM needs to be factored in, which reduces the middle stack's call range even further. The best method for getting familiar with ICM is by simply playing about with ranges in SNG Wizard, ICMizer, or HR Calculator.

As an aside - it's probably best not to think of returns in terms of buy-ins - profit is a better metric.

For more info, check out this article that I wrote for Poker Player Mag on this very topic:

http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk/poker-s...ng-the-bubble/

All the best,

Christy

Hi Christy, thanks a lot.

The reason I mentioned the buyins was linked to the profitability of making the call and linked to my thinking of getting 2/1 with our range vs. villains perceived range, as the times we are correct we are either chip leader or we take out the shorty and are now ITM but I see what you are saying.

As a side note I would just like to say that I have watched about 4 or 5 of your vids so far and i really like them, great approach to teaching and they are clearly explained with sound rationale behind your decision making. My free membership runs out tomorrow but I will be extending it to make sure I get to at least watch all the vids you have done thus far.

Cheers.

DragTheBar SNG Coach

Thanks Fiz, I appreciate the kind words. And while we're on the topic of 6max Hypers, you should really check out MD261's latest vid - it's an absolute beauty!

http://www.dragthebar.com/poker-vide...79a95b42928eaf

All the best,

Christy